RMT union confirms walk out suspended after talks with London Underground
There is relief for travellers on Friday afternoon with the news that the tube strike which was to take place over three days next week has been suspended.
The RMT union has confirmed the planned walkout - which was set to start on Sunday evening - had been suspended after talks with London Underground at conciliation service Acas.
The union said it had secured the reversal of "nearly 60 per cent" of proposed job cuts. The agreement was for an additional 325 members of staff, of which 200 will be full-time.
"That is a tremendous victory and a reflection of the resilience and determination of our reps and the membership right across London Underground," said general secretary Mick Cash. "We will now continue to work on implementation of the new staffing arrangements at the local level and as always RMT remains eternally vigilant.”
London mayor Sadiq Khan said he was "delighted" the strikes had been suspended, showing "what we can achieve by talking and engaging with staff".
February 3, 2017