Combination of limescale remover and bleach released toxic fumes
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. Picture: London Fire Brigade
January 4, 2023
A man from White City had to be taken to hospital after mixing household cleaning products leading to an inadvertent release of toxic fumes.
The Fire Brigade were called to his home on Nascot Street this Monday (2 January) at 2.32pm. Unsafe fumes had been released after limescale remover and bleach were put together.
The man was taken to hospital by ambulance as a precaution and firefighters from two crews based in Hammersmith safely disposed of the chemicals down a drain and ventilated the property making it safe within an hour.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “Household cleaning products do pose a risk when used incorrectly.
“Always follow the instructions for cleaning products and chemicals carefully and don’t be tempted to mix them as it could produce hazardous fumes.
“Make sure you always keep them securely sealed and out of the reach of children.”
Like Reading Articles Like This? Help Us Produce More
This site remains committed to providing local community news and public interest journalism.
Articles such as the one above are integral to what we do. We aim to feature as much as possible on local societies, charities based in the area, fundraising efforts by residents, community-based initiatives and even helping people find missing pets.
We’ve always done that and won’t be changing, in fact we’d like to do more.
However, the readership that these stories generates is often below that needed to cover the cost of producing them. Our financial resources are limited and the local media environment is intensely competitive so there is a constraint on what we can do.
We are therefore asking our readers to consider offering financial support to these efforts. Any money given will help support community and public interest news and the expansion of our coverage in this area.
A suggested monthly payment is £8 but we would be grateful for any amount for instance if you think this site offers the equivalent value of a subscription to a daily printed newspaper you may wish to consider £20 per month. If neither of these amounts is suitable for you then contact email@example.com and we can set up an alternative. All payments are made through a secure web site.
One-off donations are also appreciated. Choose The Amount You Wish To Contribute.
If you do support us in this way we’d be interested to hear what kind of articles you would like to see more of on the site – send your suggestions to the editor.
For businesses we offer the chance to be a corporate sponsor of community content on the site. For £30 plus VAT per month you will be the designated sponsor of at least one article a month with your logo appearing if supplied. If there is a specific community group or initiative you’d like to support we can make sure your sponsorship is featured on related content for a one off payment of £50 plus VAT. All payments are made through a secure web site.
Family Flee as Fire Spreads to Flat on Uxbridge Road
Thirty People Flee Fire in Block of Flats on Heathstan Road
Block Near Grenfell Tower Catches Fire
Joss Stick Causes Fire Near Shepherd's Bush Green
Fire Breaks Out in Block of Flats in Shepherd's Bush
Man Escapes Blaze in House on Tunis Road
Sign up for our Shepherd's Bush newsletter